By Aaron Short
April 1, 2017 | 11:00pm
More people are leaving the New York region than any other major metropolitan area in the country.
More than 1 million people moved out of the New York area to another part of the country since 2010, a rate of 4.4 percent — the highest negative net migration rate among the nation’s large population centers, US Census records show.
The number of people leaving the region — which includes parts of New Jersey, Connecticut, the lower Hudson Valley and Long Island — in one year swelled from 187,034 in 2015 to 223,423 in 2016, while the number of international immigrants settling in the tri-state area dwindled from 181,551 to 160,324 over the same period, records show.
The nation’s economy is improving, there are more jobs in cheaper places to live, and retirees are choosing to move to warmer climates, experts say.
Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
721 AM EST MON FEB 8 2016
…HEAVY SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL AND EASTERN SECTIONS OF LONG ISLAND
AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT TODAY…
…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS
* LOCATIONS…NEW YORK CITY AND THE NORTHERN AND WESTERN SUBURBS.
* HAZARD TYPES…ACCUMULATING SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS…SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 3 INCHES.
* WINDS…NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES…IN THE LOWER 30S.
* TIMING…LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP THIS MORNING…AND CONTINUE
INTO THE AFTERNOON.
* IMPACTS…HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW COVERED
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW
WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS
AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES…AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.