Posted on

Madeline Ruiz Answers your Tax Questions


Madeline Ruiz Answers your Tax Questions

Call Us: (973)388-8345

Question: How do I claim an educational expense on my return?


You may be able to deduct qualified work-related education expenses as an itemized deduction.

If you are an employee,
•The deduction is treated as a miscellaneous deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040) (PDF), Itemized Deductions;
•The deduction is subject to the 2 percent of AGI floor; and
•You need to complete Form 2106 (PDF), Employee Business Expenses, Form 2106-EZ (PDF), Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses, or Form 8917 (PDF), Tuition and Fees Deduction.

If you are a self-employed claim the deduction on one of the following forms:
•Form 1040 Schedule C (PDF), Profit or Loss From Business.
•Form 1040, Schedule C-EZ (PDF), Net Profit From Business.
•Form 1040, Schedule F (PDF), Profit or Loss From Farming.

Alternatives to educational expense deductions, such as the Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Tax Credit, as discussed in Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, Chapters 2 and 3, should also be considered. You need to complete Form 8863 (PDF), Education Credits, to claim these credits.

Madeline Ruiz Tax Advisor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *