file photo by Boyd Loving
the staff of the Ridgewood blog
Allendale NJ, the Allendale police Department remind residents ‘Tis the Season for Mail Theft .
Mail Theft Prevention Tips:
• Deposit outgoing mail into blue collection boxes before the final pick up of the same day of deposit. Check the pickup schedule times posted on the box to ensure your mail will not sit in the box overnight or over the weekend/holiday. If the collection box notes the last collection at 5PM do NOT deposit mail after 5PM.
• Collect your mail from your mailbox every day as soon as possible after it is delivered. Do not allow mail to accumulate, even in a locked mailbox.
• If you plan on traveling and will not have access to your daily mail delivery, please consider placing your mail on hold at your local office via online or in person.
• If you have concerns about security in your neighborhood, place mail in a collection box in another area, in a secure receptacle at your place of business, or at a Post Office.
• If you see any suspicious substance, such as glue or other sticky product on the mailbox, please contact your local Post Office to report it, and notify Postal Inspectors at 877-876-2455.
• Immediately report any suspicious activity at any mail receptacle to your local police department and contact the Postal Inspectors at 877-876-2455.
• Monitor and review your financial statements regularly (bank/credit card) to ensure that no suspicious or unauthorized activity has occurred. If you mailed a payment to a creditor and it has not been received please review your account to ensure the check was not altered and payable to another party.
• If residents believe they have been a victim of mail theft, identity theft, fraud or other crimes involving the U.S. Mail, they can report it online 24/7, by visiting the Inspection Service website at www.postalinspectors.uspis.gov. (Select “contact us” and then “file a complaint.”) Customers can also call our national 24/7 hotline at 877-876-2455 and select option 2.