photos courtesy of Joe Burns American Legion Post 53
July 11,2018
the staff of the Ridgewood blog
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ, on June 27th the borough of Ho Ho Kus dedicated a historical sign at The Hopper – Zabriskie Family Cemetery in Ho-Ho-Kus. Located on at the lower train station parking lot. This hidden historical treasure was an Eagle Scout project by Alex Melarti, with help from Stan Kober. The project included a major cleanup, repairs, painting, adding mulch and gravel paths, erosion prevention, plantings, a new bench and the historical sign.
Pictured here(L to R) John Hanlon, Planning Bd President, Council President Doug Troast, Stan Kober, Project Liason, Scout Alex Melarti, Councilman Steve Shell, Borough Admin. Bill Jones, Chief Chris Minchin, and Councilman Kevin Crossley – special thanks to long time resident Joe Burns American Legion Post 53 for the pictures.
Ridgewood NJ, The Spirit of America’s Story:The Wall is a Traveling Exhibit Commemorating Our Country’s Fight for Freedom from 1775 to Present Day , “The Wall is a richly illustrated visual story of America’s struggles for freedom, a visual walk through our country’s history and our fight to be free. Our goal is to capture and preserve the spirit, the sacrifices and rich history of the American people. We do this by honoring those men and women in uniformed service who have and are currently serving and protecting our way of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness both here and abroad.” (Quotation excerpted from www.spiritofamericasstory.com/) Courtesy of Stanley A. Kober.
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
Address: 155 Linwood Ave, Ridgewood, NJ 07450
Ridgewood NJ, “The Wall is a richly illustrated visual story of America’s struggles for freedom, a visual walk through our country’s history and our fight to be free. Our goal is to capture and preserve the spirit, the sacrifices and rich history of the American people. We do this by honoring those men and women in uniformed service who have and are currently serving and protecting our way of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness both here and abroad.” (Quotation excerpted from www.spiritofamericasstory.com/) Courtesy of Stanley A. Kober .
The Wall is a visual timeline of every major conflict our country has ever faced and see the challenges our military had to overcome. Students of every age were impressed as well as the adults that viewed this display. They left with a clearer understanding of our history and a heartfelt response of patriotism. I cannot believe this group came to our school and did this for such a low cost. They were with us all day, presented to every group that dropped by and then stayed for our evening band concert and presented to all parents that attended. Very professional!” —Teacher
Historic Preservation Comission Amendment to Meeting Schedule
HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION AMENDMENT TO MEETING SCHEDULE
Special Public Meeting
Thursday, April 26, 2018
In accordance with the provisions of the “Open Public Meetings Act,” please be advised that Village of Ridgewood Historic Preservation Commission will hold a special meeting on Thursday, April 26, 2018. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 8:00 p.m. The meeting is to be held in the Garden Room on the ground floor in Village Hall. The Village Hall is located at 131 North Maple Avenue in Ridgewood. At this time, the agenda for the meeting is limited to discussion of the application for a subdivision at 401 Mountain Avenue.
All meetings of the Ridgewood Planning Board (i.e., official public meetings, work session meetings, pre-meeting assemblies and special meetings) are public meetings which are open to members of the general public.
Michael Cafarelli
Secretary to the Board
c: HPC Members
Ridgewood News*
Village Clerk
Village Manager
Village Bulletin Board
Village Website
*Note: This is not for publication in the legal ad section. It is a general announcement.
ridgewood public library is offering a workshop on genealogy Sat, April 21, 2018 Time: 10:30 AM Ridgewood Public Library, 125 N. Maple Ave, Ridgewood,NJ 07450
April 8,2018
the staff of the Ridgewood blog
Ridgewood NJ, Using familysearch.org, Saturday, April 21, 10:30am. Learn about the wealth of records and research help available free on familysearch.org. Instructor: Judy Kenney. Registration and fee required. Please contact Local History Librarian Sarah Kiefer at [email protected] or call 201-670-5600, ext. 135.
Ridgewood Nj, the Ridgewood Historical Society presents ,History Hunt booklets . Kids can enjoy visiting the Schoolhouse Museum with our new scavenger hunt for the current exhibits. Come by Saturdays from 1pm-3pm and Sundays from 2pm-4pm. They provide the pencils, you provide the little sleuths! See you there!
The Ridgewood Historical Society is housed in a one-room schoolhouse at 650 East Glen Avenue in Ridgewood, New Jersey. The schoolhouse was built in 1872 and was an operational school until 1905. It now serves as a museum of historic artifacts and is maintained by the Ridgewood Historical Society. Formerly District School No. 45, the Museum features exhibits that emphasize the historic Saddle River Valley area in the 18th and 19th centuries, an area that was primarily Dutch when first settled.
Please visit our website for more information and to donate:
Days/times open:
Thursday and Saturday.: 1pm to 3pm
Sunday: 2pm to 4pm
Ridgewood NJ, the Ridgewood Public Library will be hosting author M. Earl Smith will be speaking on his book “Ridgewood: A Postcard Series” and doing a book signing afterwards. All are welcome to join
Monday, April 2 at 7 PM – 8:30 PM
Next Week · 36–48° Partly Cloudy
Ridgewood Public Library
125 N Maple Ave, Ridgewood, New Jersey 07450
The founding fathers designed the Constitution to deal with the eternal truth that national government USUALLY accumulate and abuse power and wanted the citizenry to have the ability to resist threats to their liberties. There is no mention nor even spirit in the language of the Constitution or Federalist Papers that law-abiding citizens be limited to weapons inferior to that of the military. There is AMPLE evidence that the founders wanted the citizenry to be able to DEFEAT a regular army (not to mention the paramilitaries of the blue windbreaker agencies FBI, DEA, ATF, IRS, etc. whose very existence would have chapped their @ss) if used to infringe on civil liberties. If you find such language, please feel free to share it.
Ridgewood NJ, The Ridgewood Historical Society presents “THE THREAD OF LIFE—Exploring the fabric of family over the centuries through fashion and style”.
According to the Ridgewood Historical Society , “Much of our life and personal history is woven into the fabrics of an era. This exhibit recreates the intimate journey of an imagined New Jersey family as they navigate the milestones of life: birth (christening dresses), marriage (wedding gowns), and death (mourning attire)—and many familiar events in between. For this exhibit we showcase some of our most priceless antique garments, and accompany them with historic artifacts and ephemera from our own collection.”
“This is a beautiful presentation of generations of a family’s milestones illustrated by the clothing they wore and the artifacts that surrounded them. We will arrange special group tours and we encourage all teachers to bring their classes. Contact us at 201-447-3242.”
Schoolhouse Museum
650 E Glen Ave, Ridgewood, New Jersey 07450
Ridgewood NJ, from time to time over the years the Ridgewood blog has been criticized for providing a forum for anonymous free speech. Over the years some of the criticism has admittedly been valid ,but most of the time its part of a which hunt looking to punish and take out the poster .
The experience and fate of the Ridgewood “Math Moms “, having their children attacked and being almost driven from their homes , is one of the more egregious examples in semi recent Ridgewood history . While maligned in Ridgewood , the so called “Math Moms: who where not good enough to discuss education policy in the Village , but were invited to meet the President of the United States in the White House to discuss domestic education policy .
In recent history this blog has documented time and time again peoples businesses being targeted or bulled by coward and low life politicians who think that bullying the public is a legitimate political option .
Fact is “anonymous free speech” protects many who challenge the orthodox view in town , and lends airs to ideas that would otherwise often be suppressed because the person who mentions them is not considered “important enough” by the powers that be.
But more importantly Anonymous speech was a frequent feature of Founding father Alexander Hamilton’s life , and of the very founding America it self. Arguably the single most influential piece leading to American independence was signed simply “Common Sense,” Thomas Paine’s pen name. Just over a decade later, Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay co-wrote the Federalist Papers as “Publius.”…
Anonymous free speech was also used heavily in the deep south during the civil rights struggles and was integral in keeping supporters of civil rights from being lynched .
Ridgewood NJ, Separated at Birth — and by about a half a mile. Are these the coolest door knobs you’ve ever seen? The one on the left is in the Ackerman-Naugle House on East Saddle River Road — that cool Jersey Dutch stone house discussed earlier right across 17 from the church, and the other is from what else but the Zabriskie Schedler House we’ve been talking about on West Saddle River Rd. Both these houses were part of the original settlement of “Pyramus”, and both are still with us. They look positively ancient and really bring that period to life when you see and touch something like that. Might, say, someone like Alexander Hamilton have turned one of those knobs? Or Mr. Burr?
Actually, yes. I asked noted Jersey Dutch Architecture expert Tim Adrience about these and he explained: “The latch….is called an iron plate spring latch. That type of latch is found in a number of houses in Bergen County, and it is better than a thumb latch in operation. This type of latch was made from roughly the 1740’s to the 1830’s, and is only found on interior doors”.
Ridgewood NJ, The Ridgewood Historical Society Congratulates the winner and runners up of the Ridgewood Historical Society Letter Writing Contest! In partnership with the social studies department at Ridgewood High School, we invited students to submit fictionalized letters after viewing artifacts at the 2017 exhibit “From the Revolutionary War to the 1960s Revolution!”
The award presentation was last night at the Board of Education meeting. View the presentation with this link at time marker 11:35 https://youtu.be/tB80BUw3Z8g
The winning letters will be posted on our website very soon!
We look forward to this year’s contest which will reflect our upcoming exhibit “The Thread of Life”, opening on March 11th.
posted for in Vintage Ridgewood New Jersey Facebook group
Ridgewood NJ, Zabriskie-Schedler house Public Meetings tonight @ 7:30! Come support the House! Great things on the agenda as the Mayor noted in her post. Getting a new roof and potential archeological study. The Dutch Gambrel roof on this house is both it’s most distinctive and threatened feature, and with no roof there’s no house. so getting this right is really important. Very special skill set. And just imagine what’s in the earth there. Hard to believe the roar of 17 is right next door. the ground is literally littered with the remains of old dressed sandstone foundations. You practically trip over them. Outbuildings? Haybarracks? soldier’s firepits?
Ridgewood NJ, according to the Ridgewood Historical Society , (https://www.facebook.com/groups/356146547743521/ ) Lucinda L. Johnson was born a slave on a tobacco plantation in Virginia in 1848. She moved to New Jersey after the Civil War to find domestic work, and saved her money to buy a small house on S. Maple Avenue. Lucinda married twice and had no children of her own, but cared for many foster children who affectionately called her “Aunt Lucindy.”
She became very involved in the fight against discrimination, which motivated her to host lawn parties in order to found the Metropolitan A.M.E. Zion Church of Ridgewood, a house of worship “dedicated to the Negroes of Ridgewood.” The church is described in an article from the Ridgewood Herald on Jan. 8, 1908 as “a real addition to the architectural attractions of Ridgewood…The church has a basement chapel, kitchen, library rooms…The lighting is by electricity and a furnace gives heat.” Inside the church, there is a stained glass window with an angel’s face marked “For Lucinda.” Johnson’s obituary, published in The Ridgewood Herald-News in Feb. 1940, described her as “a remarkable woman”; she was buried in a lot in Valleau Cemetery that she purchased back in the 1890s.
As this month comes to an end, we encourage everyone to remember Black History and attend Tuesday night’s (Feb. 27th) Academy Award-nominated film at Ridgewood Public Library at 7pm. “I Am Not Your Negro” envisions the book “Remember This House” that James Baldwin never finished, a radical narration about race in America, using the writer’s original words, as read by actor Samuel L. Jackson.
Ridgewood NJ, Welcome to Downtown Ridgewood — Circa 1830! (Or what did Zabriskie-Schedler look like, Part II). This view is from the opposite direction from the last one, and what this provides is context — and why this is about more than just “a house”. This is looking SW down West Saddle River Rd toward Paramus Church and what was then known as “Paramus Center”. What you can hopefully get a sense of is the important community that existed here (in Ridgewood!), first settled in the 1690’s as Anthony’s earlier post indicated. Why here? It was the convergence of indian trails that later became an important crossroads connecting the region (much as Rt’s 17, 4 and the parkway do today). As Peggy Norris detailed in her excellent history of the property, John Zabriskie bought just over 9 acres from the church in 1825 to build this house and farm, and incredibly, 7 acres of that purchase remain untouched to this day (the property originally extended across 17 to franklin tpke — those two-plus acres now lie under six lanes). I took license again with that 230 year-old tree — it’s drawn as it appears today — but that is to scale. it dwarfs the house and pre-dates it by some 40 years!