Posted on 1 Comment

Saudi Arabia severs diplomatic ties with Iran

Lawrence of Arabia

January 03, 2016, 04:11 pm
By Bradford Richardson

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister on Sunday said Riyadh is severing diplomatic ties with Iran amid tensions between the regional rivals.

Adel al-Jubeir said in a news conference that the Iranian diplomatic mission has been given 48 hours to leave Saudi Arabia, according to multiple reports.

The announcement comes after Iranians stormed a Saudi embassy in Tehran on Saturday in retaliation for the execution of a prominent Shi’ite Muslim cleric.

Most of the 47 prisoners executed on Saturday in Saudi Arabia, a Sunni kingdom, were al Qaeda affiliates accused of taking part in terrorist attacks over the last decade.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/264622-saudi-arabia-severs-ties-with-iran

Posted on 1 Comment

Trump: Hillary ‘Not Innocent’ — She Went Along With Bill’s ‘Serious’ Abuse of Woman

Democratic presidential candidate U

by PAM KEY3 Jan 2016700

Sunday on Fox News Channel’s “Fox & Friends,” Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said his potential general election opponent Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton is not “innocent” in her husband former president Bill Clinton’s “serious” abuse of woman.

https://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/01/03/trump-hillary-not-innocent-she-went-along-with-bills-serious-abuse-of-woman/

Posted on Leave a comment

At C.D.C., a Debate Behind Recommendations on Cellphone Risk

cellphones_theridgewoodblog

By DANNY HAKIMJAN. 1, 2016

When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published new guidelines 18 months ago regarding the radiation risk from cellphones, it used unusually bold language on the topic for the American health agency: “We recommend caution in cellphone use.”

The agency’s website previously had said that any risks “likely are comparable to other lifestyle choices we make every day.”

Within weeks, though, the C.D.C. reversed course. It no longer recommended caution, and deleted a passage specifically addressing potential risks for children.

Mainstream scientific consensus holds that there is little to no evidence that cellphone signals raise the risk of brain cancer or other health problems; rather, behaviors like texting while driving are seen as the real health concerns. Nevertheless, more than 500 pages of internal records obtained by The New York Times, along with interviews with former agency officials, reveal a debate and some disagreement among scientists and health agencies about what guidance to give as the use of mobile devices skyrockets.

Although the initial C.D.C. changes, which were released in June 2014, had been three years in the making, officials quickly realized they had taken a step they were not prepared for. Health officials and advocates began asking if the new language represented a policy change. One state official raised the question of potential liabilities for allowing cellphones in schools.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/technology/at-cdc-a-debate-behind-recommendations-on-cellphone-risk.html?_r=0

Posted on Leave a comment

Trump: Iran deal was so bad it’s suspicious

-donald-trump-candidacy-speech-thridgewoodblog

January 02, 2016, 09:05 pm
By Elliot Smilowitz

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump says the nuclear deal with Iran is so bad, he is close to wondering whether it was done poorly on purpose.

“It’s almost like there has to be something else going on,” he said Saturday night at a rally in Biloxi, Miss. “I don’t think there is, I just don’t think they’re competent.”

Trump said he couldn’t believe the U.S. would agree to a deal with Iran that did not include the return of Americans held prisoner in Iran.

“Who would make that deal?” he asked, suggesting Tehran was celebrating as the agreement was being negotiated.

 

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/264598-trump-iran-deal-was-so-bad-its-suspicious

Posted on Leave a comment

Hillary Clinton’s $13M fail as Secretary of State

bill-and-hillary-clinton-foundation-global-initiative-AFP-640x480

By Post Editorial Board

January 1, 2016 | 11:21pm

It turns out that Bill Clinton raked in millions from entities with matters before Hillary Clinton’s State Department. Oh, and the Clinton Foundation collected millions more from the same bunch.

In total, The Wall Street Journal reports, two dozen companies and groups, plus the Abu Dhabi government, gave Bill more than $8 million for speeches, even as they were hoping for favorable treatment from Hillary’s bureaucracy. And 15 of them also gave at least $5 million total to the foundation.

At her confirmation hearing, questioners raised the issue of her hubby’s global business. Hillary vowed to take “extraordinary steps . . . to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.”

Count 13 million record fails for those “extraordinary steps.”

Hillary’s solemn promise recalls a line from George R.R. Martin: “Words are wind.” Heck, it must be the House Clinton slogan.

The issue first arose thanks to Peter Schweizer’s book, “Clinton Cash.”

“The really troubling thing about Bill’s speeches is the apparent correlation between his fees and Hillary’s decisions during her tenure as secretary of state,” he wrote.

“The timing of the payments, the much-higher-than-average size of some of them, and the subsequent actions taken by Hillary raise serious questions about just what those who underwrote these exorbitant fees were actually paying for.”

Clinton campaign spokesman Brian Fallon says “no evidence exists” connecting State Department actions under Hillary to Bill’s lucrative speeches.

 

 

https://nypost.com/2016/01/01/hillary-clintons-13m-fail-as-secretary-of-state/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Posted on 1 Comment

The myth of the cop killing ‘epidemic’

rochell park police

file photo by Boyd Loving

By Michael Walsh

January 2, 2016 | 4:00pm

To hear the media tell it, America is in the grip of an unprecedented crime wave, an orgy of wanton murder in which heavily armed thugs randomly gun down innocent unarmed people, some of them teens, just for sport.

Except that these homicidal goons are wearing the blues and badges of American police departments.

It’s the narrative that’s given rise to the protest movement Black Lives Matter and to a growing public mistrust of the police in general. From Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., to the recent shooting of a middle-aged woman and a teen in Chicago, the body count seemingly keeps rising, exacerbating racial tensions and keeping the nation on edge. And each incident is breathlessly reported by a media determined to show that America remains deeply, irredeemably racist.

Last week, The Washington Post published a study of the police shootings that took place in 2015. Likely they intended the story to be shocking — as on Dec. 24, 965 people were killed by police! Instead, the report quells the notion that trigger-happy cops are out hunting for civilian victims, especially African-Americans. Among its key findings:

White cops shooting unarmed black men accounted for less than 4% of fatal police shootings.
In three-quarters of the incidents, cops were either under attack themselves or defending civilians. In other words, doing their jobs.
The majority of those killed were brandishing weapons, suicidal or mentally troubled or bolted when ordered to surrender.
Nearly a third of police shootings resulted from car chases that began with a minor traffic stop.

 

https://nypost.com/2016/01/02/myth-of-the-cop-killing-epidemic/

Posted on 1 Comment

Armed group’s leader in federal building: ‘We will be here as long as it takes’

Bundy Ranch

By Holly Yan, Joe Sutton and Ashley Fantz, CNN

Updated 1404 GMT (2204 HKT) January 3, 2016 | Video Source: CNN

CNN)Armed protesters have taken over a building in a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon, accusing officials of unfairly punishing ranchers who refused to sell their land.

One them is Ammon Bundy, the 40-year-old son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who is well-known for anti-government action.

He spoke by phone to CNN on Sunday at 8 a.m. ET. Asked several times what he and those with him want, he answered in vague terms, saying that they want the federal government to restore the “people’s constitutional rights.”

“This refuge — it has been destructive to the people of the county and to the people of the area,” he said.

“People need to be aware that we’ve become a system where government is actually claiming and using and defending people’s rights, and they are doing that against the people.”

The group is inside part of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge near Burns after gathering outside for a demonstration supporting Dwight and Steven Hammond, father and son ranchers who were convicted of arson.

Prosecutors said the Hammonds set a fire that burned about 130 acres in 2001, to cover up poaching. The father and son were sentenced to five years in prison.

The Hammonds said they set the fire to reduce the growth of invasive plants and to protect their property from wildfires, CNN affiliate KTVZ reported.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/03/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/index.html

Posted on Leave a comment

Ridgewood Open Houses for January 3,2015

Screenshot 2016-01-03 at 10

$525,000 in Ridgewood
MLS # 1548683
228 E Glen Ave, Ridgewood, NJ 07450
4 Bedroom, 2 Full Bath, Col
Fortunato Campesi, Broker Owner
Fortune Realty Group, LLC
Open House: 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Sun. 1/3
25

$535,000 in Ridgewood
MLS # 1534639
116 Lake Ave, Ridgewood, NJ 07450
5 Bedroom, 2 Full Bath, Col
Elizabeth Novak, Sales Associate
Weichert Realtors Ridgewood
Open House: 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Sun. 1/3
19

$590,000 in Ridgewood
MLS # 1548880
332 Eastside Ave, Ridgewood, NJ 07450
5 Bedroom, 2 Full Bath, Col
Michael Shetler, Sales Associate
Keller Williams Village Square Realty
Open House: 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Sun. 1/3
24
Video Tour of 332 Eastside Avenue, Ridgewood, NJ Presented by Michael Shetler https://youtu.be/Dprl04XO2Ys

$829,000 in Ridgewood
MLS # 1541234
71 Sherwood Rd, Ridgewood, NJ 07450
4 Bedroom, 4 Full Bath, Col
Mary Onie Holland, Sales Associate
Tarvin Realtors
Open House: 1:00 P.M. – 4:30 P.M. Sun. 1/3
– See more at: https://www.njmls.com/NJ/BERGEN/RIDGEWOOD-open-houses#sthash.D1QAWIjf.X8F9T0Pp.dpuf

Posted on 12 Comments

Citizens for a Better Ridgewood Says 5pm Special Public Meeting Substantially eliminates the ability of most Residents from being able to attend

village council meeting

file photo by Boyd Loving

SPECIAL PUBLIC MEETING – MULTI-FAMILY HOUSING

There will be a Village Council Special Public Meeting held on Friday, January 8, 2016 @ 5PM in the Court Room at Village Hall.  Various Consultants will be presenting proposals for the 4 Multi-Family Housing Studies covering; fiscal impact, traffic, education & municipal infrastructure

Dear Councilwoman Knudsen, Village Council and Village Manager:

On behalf of the Supporters of Citizens for a Better Ridgewood (CBR), I request that the Village Council promptly review and change the date of the Multifamily Housing Impact Study Presentations, which are apparently set for Friday, January 8th at 5pm.  This meeting MUST be scheduled at a time that will encourage Resident input and attendance… after all it is called a “Special PUBLIC Meeting.”  The current scheduling has the direct and true effect of substantially eliminating the ability of many (or most)  Residents from being able to attend.  We recognize you are working hard to expedite these presentations, but nevertheless, the serious public attendance issues with a Friday 1/8, 5pm timeslot should have been evident and understood as a given before making this problematic change.  This issue and this meeting are too important to your Resdients.  Beyond the fact that Fridays are generally an inopportune time for such events, the 5pm timing eliminates most Residents with school age children (as this is their dinnertime), as well as the majority of our workers and commuters, who will not be home in time to attend.  Given this, who then, is this “Public” meeting planned for?

While I am sure this was not intended, leaving the meeting set for such a difficult time, creates the divisive appearance that the Village Council is seeking to bypass or avoid public attendance and input.  That is most certainly not what our Council, or our Village needs at this time.  Our Mayor has been a vocal advocate of finding ways to improve the tenor of public discourse.  Providing an “inaccessible” meeting time, for such an important event, will raise the level of frustration, Resident-exclusion and act as a setback to those noble intents.

The timing of this meeting is wrong for Ridgewood.  Please reschedule at a time that encourages public attendance.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dave Slomin

Posted on 1 Comment

Valley Hospital in Ridgewood sees 14 patients in the emergency room with injuries from the motorized boards on Christmas Day

Hoverboards

N.J. Hospital Sees 14 Patients Injured By Motorized Boards On Christmas Day Alone

January 2, 2016 4:13 PM

RIDGEWOOD, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A New Jersey hospital saw 14 patients on Christmas Day alone who were injured by motorized, self-balancing, two-wheel scooters.

As WCBS 880’s Stephanie Colombini reported Saturday, the Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, New Jersey saw 14 patients in the emergency room with injuries from the motorized boards on Christmas Day.

The hospital said it has seen a handful of additional injuries related to the motorized boards since.

Most of the injuries were caused by people falling off the boards, the report said.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission urged riders to wear the same safety gear with the motorized boards that they would use if they were on a traditional skateboard – including helmets, elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards.

 

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/01/02/new-jersey-motorized-board-injuries/

Posted on 6 Comments

Ridgewood Police Taser Intoxicated and Unruly Individual

Ridgewood Police

photo courtesy of Boyd Loving’s Facebook page

January 3,2016
the staff of the Ridgewood blog

Ridgewood NJ, It is believed a Ridgewood Police Department uniformed patrol officer deployed a Taser gun to subdue an unruly individual in the 400 block of Northern Parkway, Ridgewood at approximately 9:15 PM on Saturday, 01/02.

A resident had called police earlier in the evening about an intoxicated adult male who was reportedly causing a disturbance. The individual was placed in handcuffs after being subdued and transported to The Valley Hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries.

Posted on 5 Comments

Village of Ridgewood : Our local government – corrupt or just plain brazen?

Health Barn

January 3,2016
Boyd A. Loving

Ridgewood NJ, I can’t imagine that a local company involved in the training & education of your children would spend money to advertise a product they could not deliver, could you?

Therefore, the appearance of this advertisement in a recent edition of the Suburban News, which indicates that a commercial enterprise (HealthBarn USA) is planning to use Village of Ridgewood owned property (The Stable) as its primary training location – currently without the formal approval of Ridgewood’s Village Council – makes me wonder whether someone at Village Hall should be investigated, or someone there should be fired.

What the heck is going on?

Posted on 1 Comment

Nimr al-Nimr execution: Former Iraq PM al-Maliki says death will ‘topple Saudi regime’

Lawrence of Arabia

Elsewhere, demonstrators carrying pictures of the Shi’ite cleric were involved in a clash with police in the Bahraini village of Abu-Saiba

Harriet Sinclair

The former prime minister of Iraq, Nuri al-Maliki, has said that the execution of the prominent Shi’ite cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr by Saudi Arabia will be the downfall of the Gulf kingdom’s government.

Mr al-Maliki, who was prime minister of Iraq between 2006 and 2014, said in a statement that his countrymen “strongly condemn these detestable sectarian practices and affirm that the crime of executing Sheikh al-Nimr will topple the Saudi regime as the crime of executing the martyr al-Sadr did to Saddam,” referencing the death of another prominent cleric in Iraq in 1980.

Hundreds of armoured vehicles were sent to Qatif in Saudi Arabia to contain protests in response to the execution, while demonstrators in Bahrain have been tear-gassed.

Several protests have taken place in majority Shia Qatif and in Bahrain, following the execution of Sheikh al-Nimr and 46 others for ‘terrorism offences’.

Demonstrators carrying pictures of the Shi’ite cleric were involved in a clash with police in the Bahraini village of Abu-Saiba, where dozens were tear-gassed, according to witnesses.

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/nimr-al-nimr-execution-protesters-tear-gassed-in-bahrain-after-saudi-arabia-carries-out-death-a6793761.html

Posted on 1 Comment

New company claims they’ll be able to RESURRECT THE DEAD by 2045

Frankenstein1931ColinCliveDwightFry

ENTREPRENEUR Josh Bocanegra says his new company Humai area aiming to bring the dead back to life

By KAT ROMERO
PUBLISHED: 14:23, Sat, Jan 2, 2016 | UPDATED: 16:06, Sat, Jan 2, 2016

Entrepreneur Josh Bocanegra attracted a lot of attention when he announced his new artificial intelligence company Humai.

Why? Because he claims that by 2045, they’ll be able to resurrect the dead.

The new company are aiming to “extend and enhance life” by freezing human brains for extended periods of time using cryonics, a deep freezing technology using very low temperatures, and then putting them into artificial bodies.

But Josh claims the company’s ultimate goal is to preserve a human brain BEFORE a person dies.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/630902/company-bring-dead-back-to-life-with-brain-preserving

Posted on 4 Comments

Earthquake Strikes North Jersey

NJ earthquake

 

January 2,2016

the staff of the Ridgewood blog

Ridgewood NJ, according to state officials an unusual and very mild earthquake struck in New Jersey on Saturday. The 2.1-magnitude quake with its epicenter in Ringwood, New Jersey, came at 12:58 a.m., according to the United States Geological Survey.

According to various police departments the earthquake could be felt in Sloatsburg and Suffern. There was no reported damage to people or property, according to Ringwood police and no reports in Ridgewood , Glen Rock , Paramus , Ho Ho Kus or Saddle River as far as we know .

According to Gary, Barbara and Collin,all residents of Ringwood who own and run the Tobacco Shop of Ridgewood & Davidoff Lounge , “they were asleep and didn’t feel a thing.”