Posted on

Dumont Volunteer Fire Department Knocks Down Lithium ion Battery Fire

the staff of the Ridgewood blog

Dumont NJ, the Dumont Volunteer Fire Department quickly knocked down a Sunday morning fire confined to the living room of a private residence .Truck 2 arrived, as the crew from Engine 3 stretched a line into a private residence . No injuries reported. It was determined the fire was caused by a malfunctioning Lithium ion battery.

With electronics becoming more portable and lightweight,requiring batteries that offer long hours of battery life before recharging. Lithium batteries are becoming common place in electronics such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets as they can last for up to 2 years to 5 years.

If you notice the lithium-ion battery overheat, try moving the device away from flammable materials and cutting of the current supply. If you’re in an electric vehicle, you should immediately evacuate and never attempt to extinguish lithium battery fires yourself. Your health and safety are far more important, call the emergency services instead.

In case of fire,  a standard ABC or BC dry chemical fire extinguisher must be used since these are considered Class B fire. A common misconception is that lithium-ion batteries contain any actual lithium metal. They don’t and that’s why you shouldn’t use a Class D Fire Extinguisher.

There are new and improved methods to douse lithium fires as well. The Aqueous Vermiculite Dispersion (AVD) is a fire extinguishing agent that disperses chemically exfoliated vermiculite in the form of a mist. However, larger lithium-ion fires as that of EVs or ESS may need to burn out. Using water with copper material is effective but is costly.

Battery Safety experts advise using water even for large lithium-ion fires. Fires like these may burn for days and it’s important to isolate them from flammable materials and prevent them from expanding.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.