When the house first appeared on a map in 1778, Glen Rock was part of an area called “Small Lots” in Bergen County.
Hendrick Hopper was a fourth-generation colonist. Andries Hopper was the first of his family to immigrate to the Dutch colony from the Netherlands around 1640. In 1664, New Amsterdam was taken over by the British, divided up, and parts were renamed New Jersey, changing the nationality of all residents of Bergen County in one fell swoop.
The Rock of Glen Rock was used in the Ramapo Tract Map to separate East and West New Jersey in 1709 and there was a copper pin nailed into the top of the Rock for the survey. The Hopper family’s name can be found on sites all over Bergen County. Because they were so prolific it is a challenge for historians to sort out the family tree! To complicate matters, some married second and third cousins. There were still Hoppers living in Upper Saddle River until about 2010.