Exploring Our Agrarian Roots with Artifacts from the 18th and 19th Centuries
“A unique opportunity to see what life in Ridgewood was like hundreds of years ago.”
Ridgewood NJ, On March 20, 2016, between 2PM and 4 PM, the Ridgewood Historical Society’s Schoolhouse Museum will debut its new Exhibit – “Farm and Home”.This exhibit will show how farmers, their wives and children lived off the land, cleared forests, harvested food, prepared meals and developed a prosperous economy in 18th and 19th Century Ridgewood.
Using objects donated to the Museum over many decades, this exhibit will display a wide variety of objects from this period, including Lenape implements, early Dutch artifacts, farm tools, home furnishings, textiles and quilts, early cookbooks, and kitchenware.
Open to the public, the Schoolhouse Museum is located at 650 E. Glen Ave., Ridgewood, NJ. Museum’s hours are Thursdays and Saturdays; 1 to 3 p.m. and Sundays; 2 to 4 p.m.
RIDGEWOOD, N.J.– Ramon M. Hache, 41, is certified to run for one of the three open seats on the Ridgewood Village Council in this May 10th municipal election. Hache, a father of three, sees a need for responsible, balanced leadership to propel Ridgewood forward while respecting its residents.
“I see Ridgewood standing at the crossroads of progress and tradition, and I know that a lot of big decisions will have to be made in the next few years,” Hache said. “I want to make sure that the town is guided through those decisions in a responsible way. To me this next election will provide an important reset for the town.”
Some of the big issues Ridgewood is facing in the future will be a continued push for multi-familyhousing, Valley Hospital, safety surrounding schools and the cost of maintaining and enhancing our athletic fields and parks.
Although the Master Plan was recently updated, Hache feels that it is important to revisit thisdocument, which should provide a detailed roadmap to the future and offer guidelines for smart development.
A 1991 graduate of Ridgewood High School, Hache was raised in the Village, and he is currently SeniorVice President at Permal Group, one of the largest hedge fund investors in the world.
Hache’s volunteerism includes being the treasurer for the Ridgewood High School Football Scholarship Committee, a Ridgewood Soccer Association coach, a member of the Knights of Columbus and an active member, lector and Eucharistic minister at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church.
To contact Ramon Hache: 201-960-4977, [email protected], or visit www.ramonhache.com
New Jersey Transit and rail worker unions on Tuesday were closer to a contract agreement to head off a strike than they were a day earlier, a union official said. Associated Press Read more
Basics of dispute
The dispute revolves around a 5-year-old contract stalemate. Unions have demanded a deal similar to the one signed in 2014 by the Long Island Railroad, with an 18-percent pay raise over seven years plus retroactive pay from 2011, when the current contract came up for negotiation. The unions also want a modest increase in employees’ health insurance payments, capped at 2.5 percent of their base salaries.
NJ Transit told the Presidential Emergency Board, which has been mediating the latest discussions, that such a plan would cost the agency an additional $183 million by 2018. In a Feb. 19 letter to New Jersey’s Congressional delegation, NJ Transit said the union proposal was “excessive,” and included “platinum-level health benefits.”
Kevin Rooney announced at a Tuesday Bergen County Republican Organization meeting that he would be dropping out of the race for BCRO chairman, according to a source.
Despite being critical of current chairman Bob Yudin in the past for his leadership of the group, Rooney also backed Yudin for reelection the source said.
Yudin’s leadership came under fire last year after Bergen County Republicans failed to win any seats on the freeholder board and because of a controversy in LD38 that crippled the Republican race in what was initially pegged as one of the most competitive districts in the state.
Ridgewood NJ, Bernadette Coghlan-Walsh, 19 Year Ridgewood Resident, wife and mother of three has entered the race to reclaim a Council seat.
Coghlan-Walsh was first elected to the Ridgewood Village Council in 2010 and won in a landslide earning the top vote getter accolade. She served with Distinction for four years and has remained involved in Village activities ever since. “I’ve received overwhelming support on my new Council bid and want nothing more than to do what’s right for the Village. Ridgewood needs honest, reliable citizens to serve on the Village Council and I believe I have proven my mettle over the years.”
Coghlan-Walsh is the Head of Global Workforce Mobility for Region Americas at Linde Gas and also manages their Non-commercial Fleet of over 250 vehicles. Mrs. Coghlan-Walsh holds designations through Worldwide ERC signifying her mastery of Workforce Mobility both Domestic and International including Talent Management and Labor Relations. She is poly-lingual and works daily on Immigration issues affecting employees throughout North, Central and South America. Mrs. Coghlan-Walsh is also a State Licensed Residential Real Estate Appraiser inNew Jersey.
Bernadette currently serves on the Planning Committee of the New Jersey Relocation Council, a Girl Scout Leader for Troop 1326 in Ridgewood, Member of the Women’s Club of Ridgewood where she served as President of Juniors from 2009-2010 and an Our Lady of Mt. Carmel parishioner where she’s volunteered as CCD teacher and served on the MOMs Circle of Care. An avid horseback rider she has the distinguished honor of being the Children’s Ambassador of the Garden State Horse Show for the past 4 years.
Her past experience within Ridgewood includes serving on the Ridgewood Planning Board, Historic Preservation Commission, Parks & Recreation Commission, Field Committee, Ridgewood Environmental Advisory Committee and the Bergen County League of Municipalities.
“Ridgewood is a vibrant, upbeat and friendly community. I fully believe residents have become engaged in such large numbers recently because they don’t believe their voices are being heard nor understood by the current Council. I believe any vote in May will be for a fresh perspective and return to civility for everyone on both sides of the aisle. I’ll work tirelessly for Ridgewood, I only ask that residents support me and cast one of their votes for Bernadette Coghlan-Walsh”.
Bernadette will be listed on the upcoming Ballot in Row 4.
I want to say thank you so much to everyone who supported my choice to run for Village Council.
I really wanted to do it and to be a part of helping the town I love, preserve its character. I wanted to be a part of the process and I still will be.
The election is a numbers game, and we had too many chefs in the soup. If someone had to take one for the team and step aside, I am happy to have been that person. If it enables stability, common sense, and independent thinking to return to our council, then it is for the best. I apologize for the years of laughs I won’t be there to provide you, but hey, you can’t win them all! Council meetings would surely have been more interesting with me involved- in a good way!
And I’m not done. I plan to run in 2 years, and do my part at that time.
There ARE other excellent candidates, and I throw my whole hearted support behind Bernadette Walsh and Jeff Voight. They are excellent, proven, trusted leaders. I ask anyone that had been in support of me, to please throw your support behind these 2.
Thanks again to all of you.
Ridgewood NJ,Representatives for the Ridgewood school District, under the leadership of Superintendent Dr. Fisbein, participated in a security assessment training meeting along with representatives from the Ridgewood Police and Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office.
Agent William J. Stallone of BCPO along with Detective Captain Lyons and Chief Ward discussed security assessments and risk mitigation process updates as part of our ongoing partnership towards enhanced school safety. Agent Stallone is the county Risk Mitigation Planner in conjunction with the NJ Department of Homeland Security. He has been working closely with our department as part of the community wide critical infrastructure threat and vulnerability assessments initiated by our department.
The Ridgewood Police would like to thank Dr. Fishbein, his team and the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office for their continued commitment and assistance in our efforts to secure our schools and community.
Ridgewood NJ, PSE&G will be commencing Energy Strong electric improvements in Ridgewood .
PSE&G will begin overhead construction activities along existing pole routes as part of our Energy Strong electric improvements. We are installing two new circuits to improve reliability and convert some existing 4kv service in Ridgewood to 13KV.
Some overhead construction activities have begun and are expected to continue over the coming months. We anticipate the majority of the project to be complete in the next two to three months however, ancillary work is expected intermittently. PSE&G crews will be working from approximately 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday. This work is expected to be complete in September, 2016, weather permitting.
Work locations are expected in the following locations:
Maple Ave from Cameron to Mastin Pl
Mastin Pl from Maple to Walnut St
Walnut St from Mastin to Franklin Ave
Broad St – Hudson St to Dean St
Doremus Ave – Orchard to Ackerman
Safety is our primary concern. PSE&G will work with the Village of Ridgewood Police Department to minimize any traffic concerns or inconvenience to the public. As part of our collaboration with the Village Police Department, traffic control officers will be at our active work sites to assist with directing traffic and pedestrians.
Ridgewood NJ , In Mayor’s corner (newsletter) from this week, our mayor writes “This time, the ordinance is for $11.5 million, and our plan is to build a 325-car parking deck that would basically fit within the footprint of the current lot.”
A letter to Editorial published in Friday’s Ridgewood News writes – “The Village Council continues to modify the plans to address certain concerns raised by some, and to create a larger consensus. The latest rendition seems to accomplish that on many levels- even one level less of a deck.”
However both of these statements prove to be incorrect. Plan D does not fit within the lot, it still encroaches out 4-5 feet and is higher than the allowed zoning in that zone. The latest rendition (plan D), doe not reduce one level, it’s still 5 levels, it’s just about 3 feet short of plan A, and that’s achieved by reducing the height of each level by few inches.
To be more specific Plan D does not fit on the footprint of the existing lot. Plan D still goes over the existing lot by 5ft onto the existing sidewalk. The sidewalk will then be moved 4ft into Hudson Street (therefore narrowing the sidewalk by 1ft, and narrowing Hudson street for the length of the garage by 4ft). On January 6th, when the council could not receive the super majority vote it needed to bond in house for Option C (3 stories (approx 38ft high-not including towers), 4 levels of parking, 12 ft beyond the sidewalk and into the street), The mayor agreed to go back to the architect for a plan that fit on the lot. At the January 13th council meeting, the village manager repeated that they were “focusing on the parking garage that fits within the footprint”.
At the January 14th Historic Preservation Commission meeting, the mayor told the HPC as well as the members of the public at that meeting 3 times, “we’ve agreed to make sure it does not encroach upon the street”. At the January 27th council meeting, there were no sketches, drawings, etc, but it was announced that the new plan would go over the existing lot, “not more than 5ft”, and it would be 4 stories and 5 levels of parking (1 story more than Option C from January 6th). When the village manager and Mayor were asked where is the garage that “fits on the footprint”, the reply was, “this is close”. Yes, Option D is less than 12ft into the street, but it’s still not “on the lot”, and now it’s a story higher than Option C.
Ridgewood NJ, Village Council Nomination petitions were REPORTEDLY certified by the Village Clerk
Richard S. Brooks, East Ridgewood Avenue (spouse of Planning Board Attorney Gail Price)
Bernadette Coghlan-Walsh, Red Birch Court (former Village Council member)
Ramon Hache, Ackerman Avenue
Gwenn H. Hauck, Fairmount Road (current Village Council member)
Melanie Hooban-McWilliams, Bogert Avenue
Jeffrey D. Voigt, Glenwood Road
Evan Weitz, Oak Street (current member of Village’s Financial Advisory Committee)
Janice M. Willet, Prospect Street (current member of Village’s Financial Advisory Committee)
It is reported that one (1) or more of the above individuals is likely to ask that their name(s) not be placed on the ballot following the scheduled Wednesday, 3/09 lottery for ballot placement.
GENEVA (AP) — Sexual transmission of the Zika virus is more common than previously thought, the World Health Organization said Tuesday, citing reports from several countries.
After a meeting of its emergency committee on Tuesday, the U.N. health agency also said there is increasing evidence that a spike in disturbing birth defects and neurological problems are caused by Zika, which is mostly spread by mosquito bites. When WHO declared the explosive outbreak in the Americas to be a global emergency last month, it said that the evidence that Zika was responsible was only circumstantial.
The Facebook page of FrackNation was suspended for 24 hours at the weekend after a series of complaints by activists who objected to the fact that it was telling the truth about fracking.
Filmmaker Phelim McAleer has been using the FrackNation page to report on the Dimock water trial – in which two families from smalltown Pennsylvania are trying to sue an oil and gas company for millions of dollars, alleging that it polluted their water with fracking fluid.
Thanks to the families’ allegations – eagerly, unquestioningly repeated in the green propaganda movies Gasland and Gasland 2 and frequently cited by activists like Mark Ruffalo and Yoko Ono – Dimock is now synonymous with environmental disaster. Not only have its faucets (taps to UK readers) been on shown on screen to burst into flames when you set a match to them but aggrieved locals have attested to the sickness the allegedly contaminated water has caused them, even to the point where they “won’t even shower in it.”
Now the case has finally come to trial, however, it is proving absolutely disastrous to the fracktivists’ cause: none of the claims by the two families – the Ely and the Hubert family – appear to be standing up.
Despite claiming to have suffered neurological, gastrointestinal, and dermatological damage from drinking the water, the families have had to admit they can produce no evidence of this. Indeed, they never even visited a doctor, not even when their children had supposedly been poisoned.
The Ely family were so oddly unperturbed by the deadly toxic water beneath them that they built a $1 million mansion on top of it.
A battle is brewing in Bergen County over law enforcement salaries, with a police union claiming that its contract was violated when a controversial plan to combine the Sheriff’s Office and County Police was enacted.
The gambit, if successful, could lead to higher raises and back pay for its members.
At stake is a chunk of the $3 million that County Executive James Tedesco says has been saved thus far by folding the county force into the Sheriff’s Office last year.
At issue is a clause in the current agreement between PBA Local 49 and the county — a so-called “poison pill” — which calls for the contract to revert to earlier terms if the county police are merged into the Sheriff’s Office.
In recent weeks the union, which represents the former County Police, filed three grievances that were released following an Open Public Records request: one of them saying officers had been merged and earlier salary provisions should be activated.
The county says the grievance is without merit, maintaining that there has been a “realignment” of services. The former Bergen County Police Department now operates as the Bureau of Police Services under the Sheriff’s Office. Tedesco noted in a statement that the department remains “a distinct operating unit, which now reports to the Bergen County sheriff rather than the county executive.”
They inch wormed closer as a group, but they still aren’t ready. A month ago, one their number, speaking on condition of anonymity, told PolitickerNJ that he couldn’t back Trump. Max Pizarro, PolitickerNJ Read more
Doherty: Trump is the Best Chance to Save a Gasping GOP
It’s so ugly it’s tough to look at times, or so say those establishment Republicans privately reviled by the balkanization of their own party, but state Senator Mike Doherty (R-23) said it’s a necessary showdown, one that he believes billionaire real estate tycoon Donald Trump stands the best chance of resolving. Max Pizarro, PolitickerNJ Read more